Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar, was: Aren't recordings original sources?

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello all,

I feel responsible for having started this recent thread of "rudeness",
because I attacked Keith Hardwick and his approach to sound restoration in
transfers (a subject that is of interest to this list). I attacked him,
although he cannot defend himself, as he is dead. But I attacked him, based
on his results and I indicated precisely how anybody can obtain the
information that formed the basis for my judgment. The reason for my attack
was someone praising him where I thought the opposite was due.

Although Steve Abrams may have appeared abrasive in his mail, there are
several items in it that may be documented, not least by perusing ARSCLIST
itself. I have almost 30,000 posts here, and I can sort them any way I want.
I would probably be sensitive enough not to spring my conclusions as to who
argues on a basis of documentation and who merely opinionates, but it is very
clear to anybody who wishes to perform these analyses. We can also see who
does more or less covert advertising. The facts are there. And, as Eric says,
they are open, for anybody to see.

All in all I think that opinion from an authority is a good thing, because in
order to become an authority that person has had to work through a lot of
situations, has had to obtain a lot of personal experience. An opinion based
on this is usually a very sensible input and worth considering. It saves
time, because it is usually not accompanied by documentation. However, it is
all too easy to have confidence in own powers and to express an opinion
outside the field of direct experience. Then the opinion becomes dangerous,
because there will be some who believe that the authority has really extended
this far. This is actually what happens when a new scientific discovery is
given the thumbs down by peers. Alas, in the consultant field (irrespective
of subject area or speciality!) there will always be those who either speak
before they are a true authority or they are merely convincing personalities.
That is a further complication.

I think that it is healthy in a list like ARSCLIST to insist on
documentation. I would be very sorry if insisting gets permanently regarded
as rudeness, due to some unfortunate phrasing.

Kind regards,

George