Re: [ARSCLIST] Absolute Polarity

This backs up my unscientific observation of what "sounds right" having now transferred over 1000 hours of spoken-word recordings. A surprising number of old LPs have one side "top heavy" waveforms and one side "bottom heavy." Reversing the polarity of the "bottom heavy" nearly always improves voice clarity and make the voice stand out more against the surface noise.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Absolute Polarity

Hello, Goran,

Thank you! A most interesting paper. It seems
that the majority -- but not all -- of the voice
asymmetry is higher in the positive direction.

I wonder if brass or percussion is more consistent.

Thanks for checking--fascinating.

Cheers,

Richard

At 06:16 AM 2008-10-22, you wrote:
Richard Hess:

> What oddities have you found in this?

AES preprint No 1193 (D-3)

W.L. Hetrich
National Public Radio¨
Washington, D.C.

Real-World Audio Waveform Assymmetries And the Effect on The Audio
Chain.

http://www.aes.org/publications/preprints/preprints_search.cfm:

--------------------

Real-World Audio Wave Form Asymmetries and the Effect on the Audio Chain

It is generally accepted in the audio world that it is quite possible
for two amplifiers to produce steady state measurements which are very
nearly alike in all respects; yet the two units in question produce
subjectively obvious differences in reproduced sound when fed with
dynamic program material.

This condition would lead us to the conclusion that there are gaps in
our measurements and techniques which need further study and exploration
in order that the relationships between our objective measurements and
what we actually hear subjectively may be more clearly delineated.

This examines some of the anomalies in actual program material which are
due to asymmetries; (Unequal excursions of the audio waveforms above and
below the zero base line.) The effect on the audio chain is also
documented photographically.

Paper Number: 1193 Convention: 55 (October 1976)

Author: Hetrich, Wayne L.

Affiliation: National Public Radio, Washington, DC

         downloadable electronic version PDF (4.2 MB)       $5.00 AES
Member   |   $20.00 Non-Member
         printed copy       $5.00 AES Member   |   $20.00 Non-Member
E-Library Location: (CD aes9)   /pp7680/pp7610/1295.pdf     Permalink

----------------------------

> Thanks--that would be helpful in re-setting the absolute polarity in
> transfers of tapes that did not pay any attention to this.

No conlusions of any sort can be drawn in my opinon as to what is right
or wrong.

And in most cases there are so few who can consistently hear the
difference as makes no difference in practice.

BTW, ALL radio transmissions have already gone through the phase
scrambler to symmetry the incoming audio to lessen the audibility of all
the heavy on air processing going on and to maximize the subjective
loudness.

All in the god of loudness and screw any quality real or imagined that
might lurk in the source material.

-- Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther

Richard L. Hess email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.