Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

	I have. Many times over 30+ years, for both clients and myself.
Clients sometimes request such cabling, and of course I oblige. It also
means I observe the differences in performance that seems to bring. Not
an ABX test to be sure, yet I can feel comfortable in reaching personal
conclusions about where sensible money can be spent and where the
returns per dollar are vanishingly small. There are so many really much
more effective places to spend money, even with a nearly unlimited
budget.

	All things are cases of diminishing returns. In a choice between
$1500 power cord and $1500 spent on upgrading the power distribution and
grounding system in the building that supplies that $1500 power cord,
every studio I've dealt with in all these years gained far more from
cleaning up the source power. It was easy to measure the improvements
with test gear. That 200+ feet of cable, connectors, and breakers, light
ballasts and switching computer power supplies to say nothing of crossed
/ missing grounds and crossed neutral legs has ALWAYS been more than a
match for 10 feet of super cable at the consumption end. Given an
unlimited budget, one might make the choices of extreme cable and
connectors from a clean, regulated, harmonically pure power source to
the then weakest power link: the power cords on the audio devices
themselves. Don't get me started on what happens once the power actually
gets inside the audio devices themselves.
	If there is one area that extreme cable does seem to shine would
be the terminating connectors. Low resistance connections are a plus in
all cases, but again I find personally that gold plating isn't a
requirement for excellent low resistance connections. Doesn't hurt, to
be sure, but not a requirement. The easiest, but not cost effective
method to assure low impedance connections might be with such cable, but
only if there is no concern for spending the resources in a balanced
professional way to assure the maximum overall performance vs. cost.
Again, what is the condition of the whole chain you trying to improve ?
Do you leave the rest of the chain untouched simply to hyper-improve a
tiny part? This only makes sense if that tiny portion has the lions
share of the problem..... and that is simply not something that bears
close technical examination. I've personally had to have power companies
come out and clean half a mile of power pole insulators to clean up
incoming AC power to quiet things down... and that was even with high
end isolation transformers in the facility they fed.
	Granted, surviving EE school and designing studios for many
years, as well as working at Sony on the prototype design of pro audio
large frame consoles and analog / digital recorders for a number of
years only entitles me to a personal opinion, so, as I said, YMMV. If
I've found anything consistent about power cables / power strips is that
the most common problem is that people use cable that is far too small
for the total AC draw from the connected devices, and the available
voltage / current suffered. Then the total reactive impedance changes
produce all kinds of nasty distortions on the AC waveform. The thing is,
this same issue is true of the entire wiring in whatever building you
are in. If one improves 99% of what happens from the wall socket to the
gear with the $40 cable or a well designed power strip, why not give the
rest of the $1500 to an expert (and very careful) local electrician to
provide you with a fresh large gauge feed dedicated for just your
equipment, with an ISO transformer, large contact area twist lock power
connectors, proper 'clean' single point ground, etc. I know from
experience that the difference is real and measurable, and you have
addressed as much of the problem as is practical in most situations. In
professional situations, I have found I just about have to stand watch
over everything electricians did to avoid problems, even when the
drawings were specific about how things were to be done. For them, if
the neon lamp lights, it is right. Their typical concerns are not the
same as those for running audio and video equipment. I haven't addressed
filtering, and it can certainly help to a certain extent, but that is
another topic entirely.

	I would welcome anyone to spend the huge sums to quantify the
tiny improvements such extreme power cables might make against properly
selected and sized non-hyper-hyped cable IN THE SAME USE. Until then I
have to continue with what experience and common sense has taught me.
Just an opinion, nothing more.

Scott