To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audograph disc

At 01:37 AM 2008-10-17, you wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel@xxxxxxxxx>
This was a constant linear speed machine.  There was no turntable motor.
There was a small motor and rubber wheel in the arm which drove the
turntable.  The speed would constantly change from the outside to the
inside.  I'm not sure if they ever published the specs.  They would
never expect they would be played back on anything but their own
machines.
"Constant linear speed machines" have, AFAIK, never done much except
generate phonorecords which cannot be usefully played except on their
own specific brand of machines! I have one of the UK make (forget its
name) of the twenties...and playing it on a normal 78 machine is an odd...
but useless from a listening standpoint...experience...?!

I cannot imagine these being less predictable than the horrid, curse-on-the-audio-world "Rim Drive" capstanless, reel-to-reel (usually mini) audio tape recorders.

We've had reasonably good success with plotting the trajectory of the speed in "Elastic Audio" in the more-featured versions of Samplitude. DC6 has a similar feature (which was one of my main uses of that prior to the inclusion of "Elastic Audio" in Samplitude.

The nice thing about doing this correction in the computer is you can tweak it in an arbitrarily large number of segments and you can plot a line through that segment which is not constant speed. If the speed gods are with you, it can be as simple as a single sloped line...usually not with Rim Drive tapes.

Cheers,

Richard