Re: [ARSCLIST] revisiting tape bakers

After reading the Sonicraft web site and a few others that came up after googling Tape Baking it seemed that from four to eight hours at 130 F was the procedure to follow.

I looked for a Fisher Scientific convection lab oven but found nothing under a few thousand bucks. I bought a Nesco food dehydrator at Wal Mart for $40 bucks. It handled 10 1/2 inch reels nicely, about 6 at a time. I started out with just one tape. After 30 minutes the temp was 161 F The vents were fixed and offered no temperature control. I shut it off for fear of doing damage to the tape and went no further.

It seems that if the case was well insulated and there was temperature control via a thermocouple sensor, it might work. I 'll try a SnackMaster and see what happens. Can anyone offer information as to what temperature would have a negative effect on the tape?

Process ovens are plentiful but also very large. It might not be a bad idea to encapsulate a food dehydrator in a well insulated container and just control it with a thermocouple type thermostat as a decent one is about #200 bucks and will have a control range of plus or minus two degrees. Any thoughts?

  Ken Fritz
On Sep 27, 2008, at 11:56 AM, Bob Olhs

I've found the food dehydrator far more effective than a convection oven
because it does way less harm to splices and at least as good a job with the
sticky-shed. The SnackMaster handles 10 1/2" reels and has no vents, at
least that I've noticed.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined! 615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com http://www.thewombforums.com

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of joe@xxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:52 AM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [ARSCLIST] revisiting tape bakers

I don't think this has been discussed in a while, perhaps there is
something new to add.

What currently are the most popular oven models for tape baking? How
large a reel will they accommodate? For those who use food dehydrators,
since we last discussed this subject are you still using them and
finding them as effective as a lab oven? Do you leave the vents open or
closed?

Anything new to add to the discussion?

joe salerno