Re: [ARSCLIST] cassette crackle

David Lennick wrote:
we had a similar problem with tapes made on our ancient Utah tape recorder (full track, bought in 1950). When we began copying the tapes made on that machine over to the Wollensak in 1959, anything recorded prior to 1955 had to be copied from another Wollensak because repeated repairs to the Utah had resulted in its running fast (about 8 IPS) and the tapes were noisy and cruddy sounding after a certain point, probably because of head wear. We didn't have a quarter-track machine yet so we were too dumb to know that we'd get better results from the right channel or down the middle of the tape track.

dl
Ooh! Ooh! (as in Toody in Car 54) Here's something I haven't mentioned before. Any of you ever try to play a mono upper-quarter track tape on a full-track Ampex 600??? When I was at the Temple Univ station I sometimes recorded something on my quarter-track home machine for playing at the station, knowing that I had to use clean tape and record on only one track. Our station was still in mono. The tapes played on our half-track mono machines of various makes, on our half-track stereo Ampex 354-2, on the damn full-track Maggie PT-6's, but it was BLANK when played on our full track Ampex 600, and possibly our 601. I finally discovered why. The head face on the playback head was convex curved to play the center of the tape and miss the edges. It was a true portable machine and they figured that it would sometimes play damaged tapes and this would avoid playing ragged or creased edges. It took a bit of experimentation, but I found a place on the Head-Track Selector that would lower the head just enough to record a tape that could be played back on a half-track mono machine and that 600.

Mike (there's a hold-up in the Bronx) Biel mbiel@xxxxxxxxx