[ARSCLIST] September Issue of Black Grooves

The September issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at www.blackgrooves.org<http://www.blackgrooves.org/>.

This month we're featuring the new cast recording of the Tony nominated Black rock musical Passing Strange. Several historical reissue compilations are covered, including Stride Piano Duets Live in Toronto, 1966 with Willie "The Lion" Smith and Don Ewell (Delmark), Ain't Gonna Settle Down: The Pioneering Blues of Mary Stafford and Edith Wilson (Archeophone), and Rufus Thomas: His R&B Recordings, 1949-1956 (Bear Family).  We also have reviews of the latest releases from hip hop artist NAS, blues-rock guitarist Eric Gales, R&B singer Lyfe Jennings, British pop-rock artist Lightspeed Champion, and funk-rock legend Lonnie Jordan.  Our classical selection of the month is Singin' Sepia (Bridge) featuring the music of Cuban-born composer Tania León.  Wrapping us this issue is an overview of The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard, a new biography by Peter Benjaminson.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Head of Collections

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

2805 E. 10th, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-7530