[ARSCLIST] ELP Turntable (Re(2): [ARSCLIST] RIAA EQ software)

EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Interestingly, the ELP Laser Turntable had one of the flattest
>frequency responses I'd ever measured.  Far flatter than any
>electromechanical cartridge, which is why I think the sound
>(harmonics, timbre) of the ELP Laser Turntable is quite accurate.
>However, there are other compromises with the Laser Turntable
>(like low signal-to-noise ratio) - nothing is perfect.

I have found this to be true, as well.  My best disc transfers use the ELP
with custom filters to reproduce the RIAA (or other) curve.  The CD vs.
digitally-mastered LP restoration comparisons are very telling.  On
occasion, because the ELP is so flat (especially down low), I am forced to
use a high-pass filter on the final file to minimize rumble from the
*cutting* unit.

>Sadly, master tapes sometimes go missing and a mint LP may
>be the best that's available.

Yes.  Also, master tapes can simply degrade to the point that the original
LP sounds better than the digital transfer of a master tape would.  Sad,
but true.  There are numerous examples in print right now.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet