Re: [ARSCLIST] CF cards, FAT16 formatting, Windows XP and some older JVC Portable Rom Players

Kolovos wrote:

According to the developer's handbook for creating audio programs for use with these units the CF cards need to be "MSDOS formatted." I assume this means FAT. All fine and good, right? Well, I learned (the hard way, actually) that FAT32 isn't exactly fully compatible with the players. I've also learned that Windows XP doesn't allow for FAT16 formatting.

Are you sure of that last? Open a DOS box, try
format /?
and follow instructions. FAT is allowed and distinguished from FAT32, so is surely FAT16.

Mike

Mike,

I should have been a little more precise--when I said "Windows XP doesn't allow for FAT16 formatting" I meant that you don't get a default option to do a FAT16 format via a Windows XP menu (i.e. Right Click-->Format). I assumed it was possible to do via a DOS window, but couldn't recall the commands anymore! But the info you provided is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

andy

--
Andy Kolovos
Archivist/Folklorist