To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] RIAA EQ software

I not only add eq analog but also equalize further before digitizing. Most classical and non-electronic jazz LPs need help beyond their basic eq. I usually work toward the sound of the piano if there is one, unless it is obviously off-mike (or off-mix, if that is a technical expression.) And, of course, a Steinway sounds different than a Baldwin.

Sometimes using the wrong curve gets one closer to the sought sound when further eq is added.

Electronic music- you're on your own. That includes all rock and most other pops. Even most of the acoustic instruments in such groups are deliberately or casually distorted.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Hirst" <mike.hirst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>