Re: [ARSCLIST] RIAA EQ software

Tom Fine writes:
>I recommend you try a good preamplifier matched properly to your
>cartridge and then LISTEN to the two versions and see which you really
>like better.

I have done so repeatedly.  DSP wins hands down.  Sorry, Tom.

Properly matched analog components sound very, very good...but the systems
change over time and really can't be relied upon for repeatable results.
(I have done transfers of the same discs with the exact same equipment and
interconnects one year apart and was stunned by how different things
sounded.  When processed with DSP filters, results were too close for me
to be able to hear a difference at all.)

Also, analog EQ isn't necessarily applied equally to both
channels...depending on system architecture and age of components.  I am
amused by those who don't trust DSP code but will trust a drying out
electrolytic cap.

Poorly implemented DSP is BAD, no question about it.  Good DSP is
astounding.

Good analog design is TERRIFIC and can be very satisfying.  However, you
really have to be a tweaker and be willing to get inside your gear
regularly to keep things operating properly.  I had many years of that and
don't miss it a lot.

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet