Re: [ARSCLIST] lp, cassette, 8-track cut-outs?

Yes I recall these RCA albums,but the ones I remember had a semicircular corner cut,sort of like a bite was taken out of them.It was not long after this,that they sold off the US Camden operation to Pickwick.Are the two somehow related ?

I was aware of the "NR" for non-returnable,I think.Cameo/Parkways were stamped in blue ink.I have a few stamped in a different type of lettering in black ink from another label,can't recall which label offhand."C.O,N.R" is another variant.

I recall seeing boxes like this,and I can also recall opening them up in the store to dig through them.

One of my fondest memories of my early childhood,is of the 45 cutout bin,at Woolworth in particular.Some of these were as cheap as nine cents each.These 45s were cut out by punching,or drilling a hole right through the record,It was these bins that offered me my first exposure to obscure surf,garage,and soul gems.Does anybody else recall those grab bag boxes of such cutout 45s sold at drug stores and gas stations in the early 70s ? These were packaged with a picture sleeve 45 on either side,from the mid to late 60s,and an unsorted lot of about twenty 45s in a plain white box in between.

As far as I know,the cutout 45 bin did not last beyond the late 70s.

If you lived in the western United States,before 1982,you might recall a Kmart type store called ZODY'S.Twice a year,throughout the 70s,and into the 80s,they would clear out about a quarter of the store,and give it over to ninety nine cent cut out Lps.This was how I put together several complete collections of sealed Westbound Funkadelic Lps.I found everything there from original early 60s doo wop Lps,to small label regional late 70s punk.

The chain went under in 1982,with the stores eventually becoming Wal-Marts.

I can recall finding 50s Lps in cutout bins as late as 1986.

                                                       Roger