Re: [ARSCLIST] FBI Warning

Thanks Steve,
At least I know a little about SACD now. Obviously it won't be for me. I certainly don't want to get involved again in a new system. I still have not watched all my DVDs or listened to all my CDs. And my MP3s of Old Time Radio shows are stacking up on me. Jack

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Abrams" <steve.abrams@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:22 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] FBI Warning

SACD is higher quality than CD. It has a much greater frequency range and also a greater dynamic range. In terms of information content it is about the same as 24 bit recording sampled 96,000 times per second. An ordinary CD is a 16 bit recording sampled 44,000 times per second. SACD is a bit stream sampled 2.8 million times per second on each channel. There is room for 5.1 channels of surround sound plus two channels for stereo. The sampling method is called DSD "digital stream direct". SACD has one great advantage over PCM recordings, including the 24 bit "DVD Audio", in that it avoids several stages of filtering which between them are responsible for the residual tinny sounds of CDs.

Most SACD are "hybrids". This means that in addition to the SACD stereo and, if present, surround layers, there is also a standard CD layer which can be played on any normal CD player. Many relatively cheap DVD players will reproduce SACD, though some of them just downsample. However, to get good sound from SACD you want a dedicated player which only does SACD and CD. Many upmarket SACD players only do stereo because surround sound is not a serious proposition (in my opinion). If you have a surround sound system the centre channel is unlikely to be equivalent to the front left and right channels. You would do better to spend all the money on stereo, unless you want to watch movies.

A reasonable price to pay for a good quality machine is $1000, but there are cheaper machines which sound pretty good. I use a stereo only Marantz 7001 KI, which cost 600 GBP. The standard Marantz 7001 at 430 GBP also sounds good.

Hi Fi shops do not like demonstrating or selling SACD players because their superior performances cuts into the sale of much more expensive high end CD and LP players.

There are several thousand titles available including many of the RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence recordings from the 50s and early 60, lots of good early jazz recordings, most of the recordings of Dylan and the Stones &c. Of course there are also many purely digital modern recordings if you like that sort of thing. There are very few SACDs from 78s, but the Alan Lomax popular soundbook album on Rounder is stupendous.

Of course, I am not any kind of expert. I'm not in the business and I'm not really a record collector. As a psychologist, I consider record collecting a form of insanity. However, it is OK to have, say, 1000 CDs, a few hundred LPs that you've never been able to get rid of or have repurchased and maybe several hundred tapes that you never listen to stashed away somewhere, and maybe some downloaded music from places like Opera Share. But certainly nothing more than that, and a lot less would be better. Above all, a record collection should be regularly pruned like a collection of books. It should fit into an allotted space in part one one room.

If you are a transfer engineer or a discographer, it is OK to have many thousands of records. I mean no one has ever accused Steven Barr or David Lennick of being mad.

Steve Abrams

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Palmer" <vdalhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>