Re: [ARSCLIST] Real Audio to WAV

The best tool to use for rm to wav conversion from the command line is mencoder:

http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32/MPlayer-mingw32-1.0pre7.zip

I have used this to convert both audio and video content under windows xp.

There is an excellent videohelp article:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic281724.html

giving full details.

Best wishes

Mike Hirst

Angie Dickinson Mickle wrote:
Emiley,
If you are using a PC, you may want to look into Awave Audio by FMJ-Software. http://www.fmjsoft.com/ It will batch convert and does Real Audio conversion.

Others may have Mac based suggestions.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Broomfield, CO
www.avocadoproductions.com
800-246-3811

Jensen, Emiley wrote:
Hello to everyone,

I was hired in February as the Electronic Records Project Archivist for the Montana Historical Society to preserve the digital audio and video recordings of the Montana State Legislative sessions and committee meetings. Recently I began surveying the records and am faced with the challenge of trying to convert the audio recordings Legislative Services has on its server from Real Audio to WAV format in order to properly preserve them. Of course, part of the challenge will be convincing Legislative Services that they need to think about a new format for recording their "masters", but the fact remains I have this Real Audio to deal with right now.

This is kind of a pilot project with the goal of gaining funding to work on electronic records in the state permanently after finishing with this discrete set of records. We are just beginning to work with electronic records and a digitization project at the Montana Historical Society, but are trying to move in the right direction. I am new to this area of preservation and this listserv and would appreciate any help you can provide.

I have posted to AMIA and SAA's ERECS Listservs already and had a lot of good suggestions for video, but less so for audio.

Thanks,
Emiley

Emiley Jensen
Electronic Records Project Archivist