Re: [ARSCLIST] Glass Records

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this.

As always, wisely said by Richard. I think there are two issues at hand that need not be confused.

One is the chemical and physical processes within the carriers. These aim to answer the "why"s and "how"s of degradation, and are analogous to medical science. ("Why does smoking cause lung cancer?")

Another is the statistical analyses of survey results. These are more concerned with the "what"s of degradation, and are analogous to epidemiological research. ("Does smoking cause lung cancer"?).

My post aimed at testing whether there was a correlation between non-glass-based lacquer discs and appearance of palmitic acid. Our numbers show no such correlation. But our numbers are tiny compared to the vast world of lacquer discs. Thus my ending statement that "further research is necessary". If there is such a correlation, it should show up if enough surveys are carried out. No matter what confounding factors there may be ("Well, my father smoked all his life and lived to be 98"), if there is a large enough sample it will show up.

As an aside, both FACET and Columbia's AVDb surveys assign a very high priority to lacquer discs, and even higher priority rating to glass-based discs, due to their fragility. So this is all somewhat of an intellectual exercise, but fun nonetheless.

Cheers,

Marcos Sueiro
Audio Engineer