Re: [ARSCLIST] Splice repair

Hi Marie: You said it better than I did. I am often frustrated in saying things that either may be somehow unclear or not properly understood as I intended. Others point out that my suggested new splicing routine is overly complex, burdensome, and bothersome. However, it has substantial new benefits for those who want to take the pains to use it. It may not be very practical on tapes with a large number of splices as that would take a lot of time to do all the work involved. Like you, its correct, best, and good to remove the old splices and clean up the glue on a tape segment's surfaces before baking as baking heat is bad for splice adhesives whether new or old, just like it is negative for the other tape chemicals. So one first removes and cleans up the glue and goo of the old splices. Then one bakes the limited shorter tape segment(s) only if it needed. One waits until after baking to apply the new splices after the tape has cooled down to room temperature. This way the new splices avoid the baking heat and the new splices will last 2 to 4 times longer if it is done this way. Replacing splices in the future over again and again is a time consuming labor intensive nuisance activity that can be greatly reduced or avoided if this new method is followed. Also in the case being discussed, some segments of the tape were fine and did not need baking applied to them. Accordingly, if these good segments do not need baking, do not bake them, simply set these good segments aside. Then bake only those segments of tape that need baking. Now apply new splices and reassemble the tape as it was, or alternatively one can use two reels and put selections that do not need baking on one reel while those to be baked or rebaked in the future on another reel. Thus there is significant chemical benefit and valid sound reasons for doing the splicing methods as suggested.

In brief, the suggested re-splicing method is:

1. Don't bake the splices at all, whether new or old, on a tape that has to have its splices redone anyway. There is a better way to avoid baking
any splices as per above when the tape splices have to be done over.
2. Clean up and remove the old splices and remove the gooey material before baking, do not apply new splices yet.
3. Separate and segregate tape sections that are good, do not have problems, and do not bake them.
4. Separate and segregate tape sections that are squealing and have to be baked and bake them if you must.
5. Apply new splices after baking and after the tape has cooled down.
6. Reassemble the final tape as it was and play it or, use two reels with the good non baked selections on one reel and the
selections that have to be baked or rebaked on a 2nd separate reel.

As pointed out, it is certainly a bother to do this, but it pays major dividends in greatly extending both splicing and tape life span along with better performance with far fewer future playback and storage headaches along with greatly reduced splicing repairs.

I have developed other major improvements in splicing technique. All the splices that I have redone on my own tapes are still fine without problems after many decades have passed. When the new splicing techniques are also combined with the new tape restoration methods, it is likely one can do or redo a splice once, do it correctly, and never again have problems with that splice going bad. This is a further good outcome of my new research work of many years of tape study and testing. Its too involved to adequately discuss in this short note, but maybe its a topic for another paper on splicing issues.

Yours truly, Charlie Richardson

PS. I did send the requested copies of my 3 papers which should arrive soon.