Re: [ARSCLIST] Splice repair

Try here perhaps - http://www.burlington-av.com/

I would be replacing the old splices and cleaning off the old glue
before baking the tape.  Chances are the old splices will just let go as
you get to them and be very brittle.  But, if you bake them with the old
glue on some may turn to gooey stuff.  Put  pellon secured over the
heads for protection of your valuable heads whilst fixing the splices.
This is assuming that the sticky shed is not too advanced :-)

Good luck
Marie

Marie O'Connell
Analogue Tape Preservation Archivist
Sound Archives/Nga Taonga Korero
PO Box 1531
Radio New Zealand House
Level 1, 51 Chester Street West
Christchurch
Phone  +64 3 374 8443
Fax  + 64 3 374 8448
www.soundarchives.co.nz

>>> wmfisher@xxxxxxxx 3/05/2008 3:24:56 a.m. >>>
Just a musing I'd like some opinions on.

We have several 1/4 inch tape reels that are the "production masters"
for a
series of LPs that were produced in the 70s that we want to digitize
for
archiving and possible reissue.  Most are made up of segments cut
directly
from the original 1st generation master recordings and spliced together
with
paper leader.  The tape stocks vary from cut to cut and several
segments
have developed sticky shed and require baking to get a proper
reproduction.
Almost all of the splices are badly joined, are failing and will all
need to
be redone to get a smooth ride through the transport without hanging up
or
mistracking.

That said, I'd like to know what thoughts there are on eliminating the

leader tape that seperates the individual cuts.  Smooth transitions can
be
made and silence added in software.  What are the pros and cons of
joining
the segments of different tape stock directly as opposed to inserting
paper
leader for long time storage conditions??

Also still looking for a supplier of good quality 1/4 inch splicing
tape.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Martin Fisher
Center for Popular Music