Re: [ARSCLIST] Splice repair

I received it yesterday thank you.

Cheers
Marie

>>> charlesarichardson@xxxxxxxxxxx 6/05/2008 4:11 a.m. >>>
Hi Marie:  You said it better than I did.  I am often frustrated in
saying things that  either may be somehow unclear or not properly
understood as I intended.  Others point out that my suggested new
splicing routine is overly complex, burdensome, and bothersome.
However, it has substantial  new benefits for those who want to take
the pains to use it.  It may not be very practical on tapes with a
large number of splices as that would take a lot of time to do all the

work  involved.  Like you, its correct, best, and good to remove the
old splices and clean up the glue on a tape segment's surfaces before

baking as baking heat is bad for splice adhesives whether new or old,

just like it is negative for the other tape chemicals.  So one first
removes and cleans up the glue and goo of the old splices.  Then one
bakes the limited shorter tape segment(s) only if it needed.  One
waits until after baking to apply the new splices after the tape has
cooled down to room temperature.  This way the new splices avoid the
baking heat and the new splices will last 2 to 4 times longer if it is

done this way. Replacing splices in the future over again and again is

a time consuming labor intensive nuisance activity that can be greatly

reduced or avoided if this  new method is followed. Also in the case
being discussed, some segments of the tape were fine and did not need

baking applied to them.  Accordingly, if these good segments do not
need baking, do not bake them, simply set these good segments aside.
Then  bake only those segments of tape that need baking.  Now apply
new splices and reassemble the tape as it was, or alternatively one
can use two reels and put selections that do not need baking on one
reel while those to be baked or rebaked in the future on another
reel.  Thus there is significant chemical benefit and valid sound
reasons for doing the splicing methods as suggested.

In brief, the suggested re-splicing method is:

1.  Don't bake the splices at all, whether new or old, on a tape that

has to have its splices redone anyway.   There is a better way to
avoid baking
      any splices as per above when the tape splices have to be done
over.
2.   Clean up and remove the old splices and remove the gooey material

before baking, do not apply new splices yet.
3.  Separate and segregate tape sections that are good, do not have
problems, and do not bake them.
4.  Separate and segregate tape sections that are squealing and have
to be baked and bake them if you must.
5.  Apply new splices after baking and after the tape has cooled down.
6.  Reassemble the final tape as it was and play it or, use two reels

with the good non baked selections on one reel and the
      selections that have to be baked or rebaked on a 2nd separate
reel.

As pointed out, it is certainly a bother to do this, but it pays major

dividends in greatly extending  both splicing and tape life span along

with better performance with far fewer future playback and storage
headaches along with greatly reduced splicing repairs.

I have developed other major improvements in splicing technique.   All

the splices that I have redone on my own tapes are still fine without

problems after many decades have passed.  When the new splicing
techniques are also combined with the new tape restoration methods, it

is likely one can do or redo a splice once, do it correctly, and never

again have problems with that splice going bad.  This is a further
good outcome of my new research work of many years of tape study and
testing. Its too involved to adequately discuss in this short note,
but maybe its a topic for another paper on splicing issues.

Yours truly,  Charlie Richardson

PS.  I did send the requested copies of my 3 papers which should
arrive soon.