Re: [ARSCLIST] The first direct cut and taped lps

Bob Olhsson <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Voyle Gilmore] also told me the Capitol studio took credit for
lots
> of stuff
> that had actually been recorded at Radio Recorders Annex which was
> a former
> RCA studio. It was considered by many to be the finest sounding
> room in
> Hollywood.

Would this be 540 Melrose, which had previously been an NBC radio
studio?  I know the book "Sessions with Sinatra" just raves about the
sound of this studio as being better than sliced bread, far better
than Hollywood and Vine when it first opened.

I would tend to think that Capitol would have been among the first to
issue tape-sourced *anything*, since they were young, lean, and
weren't bogged down with being owned by electronics/broadcasting
conglomerates hell-bent on paving the world with their new record
speed.

Capitol could buy third-party gear probably faster than RCA or CBS
could build it. (Decca probably could if they wanted to, but I think
they were content to record straight to sandpaper for subsequent
pressing in asphalt.)

Michael Shoshani
Chicago, IL