To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 9:55 AM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] The first direct cut and taped lps

Everybody knows that the first microgroove LPs were issued by American Columbia circa June, 1948. All of these recordings were dubbed from macrogrooved originals. So far as I have been able to ascertain, there were no LP recordings dubbed from tape for about another year. I believe that Columbia, HMV and RCA began recording on tape in the spring of 1949. Columbia and HMV used tape as back-up, but RCA may have used tape originals. That is one question I would like answered. Is there anyone who knows and can cite examples of the earliest issued LPs from tapes.

Another question arises. I have raised it in various places and never received an answer. If a year went by before tape came in, someone must have been tempted to do direct cut LPs. Who and when and what?

I am interested in the first LPs to be issued from tape. That is an entirely different question from the first tapes to be issued on LP.

Steve Abrams