Re: [ARSCLIST] Dylan's "Great White Wonder" - query

This is not "The Basement Tapes" but it does contain some material from the Basement Tapes. Most of what is on these discs is much earlier. I have misplaced my Dylan bootleg discography so I can't provide full details. There are several books with the relevant information.

Steve Abrams

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Lewis" <dlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Dylan's "Great White Wonder" - query

Indeed, "Great White Wonder" was the defining LP "bootleg" of rock music, and the Dylan Columbia album "The Basement Tapes" was intended as a measure to thwart its tremendous popularity. "The Basement Tapes" and later CD issues, AFAIK, eventually reclaimed for legal release everything that appeared on GWW (yes - it is already initialized in the literature) and more. One of the most famous of all bootleg LPs.

David N. Lewis Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

Maybe music was not intended to satisfy the curious definiteness of man.
Maybe it is better to hope that music may always be transcendental
language in the most extravagant sense. ~ Charles Ives

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rod Smear Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 5:05 PM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Dylan's "Great White Wonder" - query

Paul,

this is the "basement tape" material, recorded in Woodstock, NY. in
1967, with the Band.

Rod