Re: [ARSCLIST] Does anybody know a good place for speaker re-foaming?

BUT the foam surround also keeps the cone, and thus the voice coil
centered in the gap. Reconing is common place. If there isn't anyone in
your area that does it, you could send just the drivers off to be done.
In almost any decent size city, a place that specializes in PA gear will
know where to send you. I'm just used to that fact though, as I only
deal with pro speakers, either studio or stage. We'd be nuts to replace
drivers just because of a dose of feedback or the odd beer dumped into a
stage monitor by some frantic groupie.. We just keep a spare to serve
while the damaged one goes for reconing. A home user could just wait for
it to come back. Be aware that a decent recone SHOULD take 2-3 days just
to do, so that the cements used can set up properly in between steps.
This is particularly true because the shims that position the voice coil
properly while the glue on the lower flex 'ring' and the outer rim dry
are in the way of installing and gluing the dust cap in the middle. Best
practice is to do the basic recone, shims in place, let dry overnight,
then remove the shims, glue the dust cap on, let set over night, then
test the next morning with an oscillator, amp, and frequency counter for
resonant point. In any case, just expect a couple of days in the
process, even if you are first in line for repair. A couple of times I
have rushed this process by all of 12 hours or so total without a
problem, but that isn't a good idea at all... You can turn a perfectly
good recone into a bad one by rushing the setting time. You can do this
at home pretty easily with some instruction, you just have to know what
to look for and mind all the details. That said, getting someone to sell
you the recone kits can be the biggest problems in doing it yourself.
JBL requires you to be a dealer, but some dealers have pity on the
'little guys'... :>) Clean the speaker of all old cement first in a well
vented area !!!!

I have to ask though... Does the color of the duct tape change the color
of the sound quality at all..?!  J/K !

Scott