Re: [ARSCLIST] NY Times: Researchers Play Tune Recorded before Edison

Yes, I've been telling people for a long time that old Leon Scott was two decades before Thomas, not to mention Charles Cros, who at least conceived the phonograph before Thom.  And then there's the brillian Dr. Thomas Young, who was recording sound waves on a paper drum coated with wax as early as 1808.  OK, so he wasn't recording sound as such, but to measure time.  But he did record sound!

As to the Lincoln phonautogram, the Smithsonian Institute is supposed to have an original phonautograph, and it mught be just possible that that have some old lampblack-coated paper rolls?

And I just read somewhere that the Supreme Court back in the 2nd or 3rd decade of the last century credited Emile Berliner (you know, that German Jewish guy!) with many of the inventions usually attributed to Thomas A. and other WASPs.

HSF