"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: ----- Original Message -----
From: "Luke Mcmahon"
> I hope this finds you well. I am writing to you from the BBC in London.
> We are currently producing a major three-part documentary film series on
> the history of the guitar. We have obtained some fantastic photographs
> from the Denver Public Library, of families/miners/music clubs in
> Colorado in the late 19th century - all of the images feature at least
> one guitar in them.
>
> I am trying to track down any guitar recordings from this period in this
> area, to play over the top of these images during the film. We basically
> want to hear the kind of guitar music these people would have been
> playing. I know it will be very difficult to find something exactly
> right, so any other suggestions, maybe recorded slightly later but that
> still sound similar to what would have been found in and around Colorado
> at the end of the 19th Century would be gratefully received

AFAIK, the guitar wasn't recorded until c.1920 or so...the acoustic
instrument simply wasn't loud enough to make acceptable acoustic
recordings. I'd have to do some digging, but I think the first
guitar records were made by Nick Lucas (IIRC...might be wrong) in
the early twenties...I MAY have copy/ies of this/these. I'd have
to look through my record catalogs to see if any earlier guitar
records were made (although I would imagine these would be
classical-guitar sides...?!)

There are several web sites that offer audio access to cylinder
record libraries...these would be worth checking as well.

Steven C. Barr