Re: [ARSCLIST] Early Stereo 1881 and 1931 (Was - Dynadoodoo

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

having brought up the pressings of Blumlein's experimental records myself, I
had better provide some documentation.

Steven Smolian wrote:

> I have these but can't check at the moment.  I believe they are 12.

----- actually there are 23 sides, and the Symposium records reproduce 4 of
them. To my knowledge, these were the only ones that have ever been available
commercially. Possibly all of the existing metals (the 23 mentioned) were
pressed for EMI in-house use, and a very limited number of such sets were
given to relevant persons. I would expect (but I have no corroboration) that
less than 20 such sets have existed. However, given the metals still exist,
any number may obviously be made.

----- the following are the 23 matrix numbers. Sadly I do not have the time
to provide a list of content. However, I am certain that Blumlein's famous
"walking and talking" demonstration is among them. The recordings are all 10
inch.

Matrix numbers of A.D. Blumlein experimental stereophonic records pressed in
vinyl

TT 5749-1 (triangle) (triangle) (triangle) (triangle)
[COMMENT: this is the standard triangle indicating the use of Western
Electric cutters. The repetition would indicate that this record was made by
two rubber line systems working in tandem]

TEST 5765-1
TEST 5765-2
TEST 5765-4

TEST 5767-1
TEST 5767-2
TEST 5767-3
TEST 5767-4
TEST 5767-5

TEST 5768-1
TEST 5768-2
TEST 5768-3
TEST 5768-4
TEST 5768-6

5771-1     Symposium1027
5771-2     Symposium1027
5771-3
5771-4
5771-5
5771-6     Symposium 1028
5771-7
5771-8
5771-9     Symposium 1028

[COMMENT: all in 5771 are Sir Thomas Beecham rehearsals]

----- a further reply:

Roger Kulp wrote:
>  Anyone know where I might buy this set ?

----- ah, I have the deepest respect for your ability to find the choicest
items on eBay, and I suppose that is where such esoteric material might be.

One consequence of providing information like the above is that knowledge is
spread, and to collectors prices will rise, because more people know about
desirable items. However, rising prices will help to ensure survival of the
items, once they are known to be above a certain limit. This is not to say
that anybody should expect 50 grand for any rarity.

Kind regards,

George