Re: [ARSCLIST] Early Stereo 1881 and 1931 (Was - Dynadoodoo

David Gnau wrote:
The first commercial stereo that I'm familiar with was done by Cook
Labs. The LP was divided in half for the left and right tracks. The tone
arm looked like a large tuning fork (each cartridge picked up one
track). When it was right it was great. If one of the heads was off one
groove it was horrible requiring an adjustment to a small adjusting
screw which would move the heads either closer together or further
apart.

Technically, the Cook recordings were binaural, not stereo. I first heard one ("Gulls and Buoys") in late 1953.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/