Re: [ARSCLIST] Sony CD Recorder--help needed

At 09:30 PM 2008-03-17, Tom Fine wrote:
For what it's worth, I've been very happy with my Tascam CDRW900, but it doesn't get as much use recording as I imagined. It gets used more for playing background music while I do file-chopping and book-keeping work in the studio. Once in a while someone just wants "a CD of this tape" and it's easiest to do a direct feed to the Tascam.

I'm with Tom on this one! I have a Sony ICF2002 for the odd listening, or I pull something up from my files and listen through the main monitors.

I first did my transfers to a pair of Panasonic SV-3800 DATs. A bit later, I did them to a pair of CDR-W33s. Now I do everything to the computer. I haven't recorded on the CDR-W33 in my studio since I put it in, except perhaps once to record a radio show from the tuner.

My other one is on long-term loan to my church until we decide what we're really going to do--either a CF recorder or direct to PC. Both have plusses and minuses.

At the end of the day, the church will have a file system similar to mine. They've already agreed in principal to put a second server at a nearby but non-attached structure and in the remodel are assigned us a media room in the church basement. It may be easier to put a CF recorder into the church sound booth and bring the CF card down to the media room and copy it onto the server than to burden the booth operator with running a PC. I did both Palm Sunday services on one 4 GB CF card in my SD 722 with almost an hour left over, so a few 4 GB CF cards ought to meet any need.

The best use I can recall in the last half dozen years with the CD burners were the work stations I helped set up at an oral history collection that had > 5000 tapes in great danger of not lasting due to long-term poor storage and lowest-bidder purchasing back in the day. We set up reel-to-reel and cassette "islands" each with one player and two CDR-W33s and a pair of headphones. Volunteers staffed these and did QC on the fly. It worked for almost no money compared to outsourcing.

Cheers,

Richard