Re: [ARSCLIST] Study of records

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> You mean you can actually get a degree for the sort of stuff geeks like
us,have been doing for fun our whole lives ?

> Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is the presently (or has there been in the past) course work leading to a
degree related to the idenification of editions and the financial valuation of
sound recordings?
> > Have there been any workshops on this topic other than the one at the
Archives Association of Ontario in 1999?

Hmmmm-m-m-m...

Discography 101, 201, usw.? Leading to a B.D. degree...then possibly a
D.M. (to avoid confusion with M.D.s!)...and finally a PhD.D?

Next question...how many of the requisite courses could I pre-pass,
based on my existing knowledge? Also, do we have separate courses
for 78's, microgrooves, magnetic tape and/or digital recordings...
or must one take courses relevant to all four?!

Note that while "editions" certainly exist among phonorecords (and
presumably related sonic objects)...it is only among the hard-core
rock ('n'roll as well) collectors that such trivialities become
critical. We "septoctophiles" generally only separate "master
pressings" from "subsequent dubs"...!

Finally, although innumerable volumes have been published concerning
the finacial valuation of such impedimenta...AFAIK, none are universally
considered to be the one single "gospel truth" on the subject. The
simple fact is this: The finanicial value of any given sound recording
of whatever sort is...and MUST be...a sum which is considered acceptable
by both buyer and seller...!

Steven C. Barr, Di. M.