[ARSCLIST] March Issue of Black Grooves

The March issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at www.blackgrooves.org<http://www.blackgrooves.org/>

This month we're celebrating the 25th anniversary of Michael Jackson's Thriller, the world's biggest selling album of all time, by featuring Legacy's CD/DVD compilation Thriller 25.  We're also taking a look at the history of the banjo through the new Otis Taylor release Recapturing the Banjo and Smithsonian Folkways' Black Banjo Songsters. Our ongoing focus on Black rock continues with reviews of the latest albums from Ben Harper and Lenny Kravitz.  Jazz releases include the Marsalis Music tribute to New Orleans' great clarinetist and educator Alvin Batiste, as well as Horace Silver's Live at Newport '58, produced from a recently discovered recording at the Library of Congress. We're examining the role of hip hop in films with Ice Cube: In the Movies, and also taking a look at the debut album from young Philly native Kevin Michael and the new solo release from Zimbabwean superstar Oliver Mtukudzi. Wrapping up this issue is a review of Follow Your Heart: Moving with the Giants of Jazz, Swing, and Rhythm and Blues, the autobiography of Joe Evans (saxophonist, music executive, and founder of Carnival Records).

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

2805 E. 10th, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-7530