Re: [ARSCLIST] LC Record Cleaning Solution

Kurt,

On the recommendation of the LC Preservation Research and Testing Division, we've replaced the Triton formula with the Tergitol and water formula they devised.  The chemist there felt it was safer for staff to use, less corrosive, but strong enough to be effective.  We've found it to work well on shellac, vinyl and lacquer discs, though probably not as well as the Triton/ammonia formula for extremely dirly lacquers.

Gene

Gene DeAnna
Head, Recorded Sound Section
MBRS Division
Library of Congress
(202) 707-3108

>>> Kurt Nauck <nauck@xxxxxxxxx> 2/19/2008 4:11 AM >>>
>The current formula of the LoC is using TergitolT 15-S-7 surfactant:
><http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/record.html>

Thanks Jos, that's interesting. The LC formula I have calls for

Triton XL-80N Surfactant
Ammonia liquor (for lacquers)
Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride (aka Oakite Sanitizer 1)
Photoflow
Water

Would someone from LC please comment? Have you replaced all of these
ingredients with TergitolT and water?

Kurt Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
22004 Sherrod Ln.