From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gregorio G. Karman
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:07 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Analog tape preservation project

Dear list,

I am looking for companies dedicated to magnetic tape digitisation in
the
area of London, in relation to a musical tape collection of high
cultural
value of about 300 1/4 inch acetate and polyester (I would say about
60%
of the latter) from 1950-70s. They are either half-track or full-track ,
mono and stereo tapes with speeds ranging from 2 1/2 to 15 ips (7 1/2,
and
15 ips mostly). About one third of the tapes are in unoptimal condition
(mechanical degradation, curly tape, some are affected by molds ...) and
number of them are spliced tape assemblies.

As I don't know how long it will take before the project can be
accomplished, would you reccomend to migrate now the tapes to new
archival
containers? Migrating from the original boxes has the problematic that
they contain annotations and documentation bound to the tapes.

Also, I would be very happy if anyone involved in similar projects would
contact me back for experience interchange.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Best regards,

ggk