Re: [ARSCLIST] LC Record Cleaning Solution

Kurt,

The ammonia and Oakite are additives for the old Triton solution only.  I have no idea whether they can be safely added to the Tergitol solution, but I can tell you that LC is not doing so.  Also, I'm not aware of any comparison to other products made by the LC Preservation Research and Testing Division when they developed the Tergitol solution.  Given the quantities needed here, they wanted an effective solution that could be prepared in our labs at a reasonable cost and that was very safe to use.

Gene

Thanks Gene

So if I wanted to clean lacquers, I could still add 20ml/gal of the
ammonia liquor, and if I wanted to inhibit future mold growth, I
could still add the Oakite. In other words, LC doesn't know of any
chemical reason why these ingredients would not mix properly. I
understand you'll probably have to throw a disclaimer into your answer!

I am curious as to whether or not your research department tried the
various record cleaning solutions currently on the market. Were they
no more effective than the Tergitol, or was it more of a cost
consideration? If Tergitol was no more effective, was it at least
comparable to the better cleaners you tried?

Kurt Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
22004 Sherrod Ln.
Spring, TX  77389