To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 10:55 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] pinning of oxide to plastic leader - best practice

I've encountered a fair number of tapes where the oxide
on the innermost magnetic tape wrap has stuck to the
plastic leader and is partially stripped off, remaining
adhered to the leader.

Unfortunately, if these tapes are prepared for broadcast,
there is often audio on the very head of the tape, and so
some of that audio is compromised as the oxide is stripped
off.

Here are the steps I am currently taking:

1.  If a plastic leader is present at the hub, I manually
   unwind the last wrap of magnetic tape VERY slowly
   from the leader.  This seems to leave less oxide stuck
   to the plastic leader.

2.  If there was audio on the pinned oxide, I flip the tape,
   and transfer the segment of leader with oxide on it.
   This segment of audio could conceivably be patched
   (summed?) back into the original audio.  I've not tried
   to do this, but felt that it was important to capture
   and archive this bit of stripped audio for any future
   restoration work.

3.  Transfer the tape as usual, and make appropriate notes
   in the metadata about the additional transfer of the
   pinned oxide.

There are clearly some dicey bits above.  So here are the
questions I would like to put to the tape archive community:

A.  Do you replace the plastic leader with paper to prevent
   further oxide from getting pinned to the leader and
   stripped?

B.  If you do replace with paper leader, what do you do
   with the plastic leader that has the oxide pinned to
   it?

This is further complicated by paper leader becoming a rare
commodity.  The latest plastic leader has no ink on it,
which is a step in the right direction.  I've seen plenty
of old Scotch leader where the ink has gotten sticky and the
oxide adheres to the ink and is stripped off.

It is unclear if oxide will get pinned to the current brands
of plastic leader.  Certainly the current plastic leader has
a flat finish rather than glossy, which may (or may not) help
prevent pinning.

In any case, if you have paper leader or ink-free plastic
leader, replacing the old smooth plastic leader seems prudent.

As for what to do with the old plastic leader with oxide
adhered to it, there's no nice easy way to store it
separately without risking damage to the leader, or seeing
it get lost or confused with other material.  So I've
thought about: (a) splicing the leader with stripped oxide
to the leader that is on the outer tape wrap (usually the
tail if tail out), and (b) making notes in pencil about the
pinned oxide and noting direction and tracks, and (c) making
sure there is enough leader so that the oxide pinned to the
leader can be played.

What are others doing?

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.