[ARSCLIST] Library Wind tape modes and long-term tape storage

Are any of you aware of any research been undertaken about proper winding profiles that optimize the long-term storage of magnetic tapes?

I have written about why I'm questioning this here
http://richardhess.com/notes/2008/02/15/winding-tapes-for-long-term-storage/

The short summary is that constant tension wind may exacerbate spoking and interlayer slip of tape. There's some pretty deep math in the Bhushan book cited in the blog entry.

Any comments or experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard