Re: [ARSCLIST] Some potential bad news ...

Supposedly there was a Chess label 45 of "Shop Around" pressed,but I don't recall any documentation of such a beastie.Can anybody enlighten me ?

                                        Roger

Bob Olhsson <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: -----Original Message-----
>From Steven C. Barr: No...actually, it's the other way around...! Artists
rarely own their
master recordings outright...ESPECIALLY for records made in 1957 or
before...?!"

I've stumbled across an amazing number of artists who owned their masters.
Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson leased the master of "Shop Around" to Chess
with a buy-back clause. They bought it back when it started to hit and
launched their own label (Motown) using the proceeds. There are numerous
stories like this. They just don't make the tabloids that everybody keeps
quoting as some kind of an authority.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com    http://womb.mixerman.net