Re: [ARSCLIST] Some potential bad news ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Olhsson" <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> As I said not good news for record labels. How is anybody doing a reissue
> acting as anything other than just another record label?

Easily explained...in many, if not in MOST cases...! Most small-scale
privately-operated reissue projects are done simply to make past
recordings available to a public who have neither the knowledge nor
the patience to acquire original analog copies (when/if such even
can be had...?!). I have seen some operations who have simply
discovered that there is a small-but-active market for digital
reissues of pre-1958 material, and seem content with the three-
digit sales figures thereof (as all the actual copyright owners
are NOT...?!) Further, most of these operations set retail prices
WELL below those of RIAA member companies (although quality is
probably variable...I can no longer hear well enough to confirm
or deny this...?!).

If, say, I dig out my half-vast archive of "Benson Orchestra Of
Chicago" discs (a complete set, BTW)...and digitize same, then
burning the result to a hundred-odd CD-R's (the probable total
market for it...?!) which I sell for $10 apiece...my "record
company" nets a thousand & change...mebbe less. To me, that's
a month's rent...to "Universal International Globalized
Megacorporation, UNlimited," that sum isn't even worth writing
down (it wouldn't cover their accountants' fees...?!). Even if
I can dispose of a THOUSAND copies, that's only ten grand...
"chump change" to them, since their issues sometimes sell
a million or more copies...!

THAT'S how...