Re: [ARSCLIST] ultrasonic bath for records

Gentleman,

Two years or so ago, while using my VPI 16.5 to clean an LP I bought for a buck, I thought " There has to be a better way." Well there is!!

While attending the CES last year I saw a machine made in Germany. Imported by Axxis Audio, it had a wand that held a record brush and an electric spritzer that sprayed the cleaning fluid just ahead of the cleaning brush. You needed to press the brush down and gyrate it on the disc as it rotated. When you felt you did a good job you would lift a powered stylus/ vacuum arm, ala Keith Monks, on to the record and let it suck the fluid and dirt off, about a minute or so. One of the problems with this machine and the Keith monks and Loricraft machines is that , at 85 rpm , the fluid gets thrown off the platter to ??? A vacuum gage told you the BAR rating while you wondered why it 's price was $6,500. Today it's probably a bit more.

The Odyssey RCM, is by far, the best commercially available machine you can buy, IMHO.

In 1963 I worked in the resister research lab at Allen Bradley to get myself through college. We used Branson ultrasonic units to clean the ceramic slugs that became chemically deposited resistors. If it worked great then to clean ceramic slugs, would it work on records. A call to Bransonics yielded this reply, "Gee, nobody ever used them for records."

I bought a $650 cleaner, used the water / alcohol ratio they said would maximize cavitation and---- Viola!!! It worked great. I have a dc gear motor that will enable me to rotate the lp's at the optimum rate for cleaning. Branson said the lp's should be stationary and not in motion for best performance. I have 6 sets of Groovmasters so I can clean 6 records at once. A stepper/ time delay relay along with everything else is still in the boxes. I haven't had the time to finish the project, however , my fellow RAS members have carried the ball to excellent results.

Not to be outdone by an offshore RCM mfg. I began with an aluminum platter 2 inches thick, 15 inches in dia. Inside dia. is 14 inches machined to a depth of 1 1/2 inch with a 10 degree negative rake. This forces the excess cleaning fluid to the lower inside of the cavity when it is spun at 140 rpm where it is sucked up by a vacuum ball riding in the bottom of the negative rake . Platter drive is a Bodine Electric 1/17 hp dc , right angle drive motor driven by a variable dc drive controller.RPM from 0 to 145 rpm.

Three Mercedes Benz windshield washer motors spritzing thru 90 degree windshield nozzles are mounted on overhead fixtures each holding VPI cleaning brushes. Vacuum is supplied by a KNF vacuum pump supplying 40 liters per minute of suction. A teflon stylus modeled after the Loricraft is moved across the record via a Thompson linear drive mechanism driven by a DC motor driven by a variable power drive.

While all the component parts are in place for both gadgets, the final assembly will take place when the spirit moves me. Completing projects has never been my strong point and it seems as though nothing has changed.

Ken Fritz