From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Lennick
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:10 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] TO DAVID LEWIS: Re:
Tradition/Everest/Vanguard Classics/Bernie Solomon

Apologies if you think I've maligned Madacy, by the way..my comments
were based
on what I found on their discs in the early 90s, when much of the same
material
could easily be identified as identical to LaserLight (who also seem to
have
gone legit).

dl

Mark Jenkins wrote:
> Well, as I work for Madacy, and manage their intellectual property,
and
> have a copy of the purchase agreement, I would disagree in this case.
> It may be the case with other masters he had, and Bernie Solomon was
> notorious for trying to sell his catalogue multiple times (it used to
be
> a joke at the NARM (music retailers) convention that Bernie would show
> up every year to find a new buyer).
>
> MJ

It's
>>> based in Nashville, TN, now and still is overseen by Michael Olsen.
>>> They still own the rights to the Vanguard catalogue, and I know
>>> independently that portions of this catalogue are being exploited
>>> privately online (as there is no formal agreement as of yet, I
> believe,
>>> between the parties, I won't go into the details).  As for the
> Everest
>>> jazz and classical catalogues, of which there has
>>> been recent discussion, these were purchased from Bernie Solomon by
>>> Madacy Music Group (now Madacy Entertainment LP) based in Montreal,
> and
>>> SOME of the 35mm masters have been licensed to Classic Records of
Los
>>> Angeles.  Madacy owns all worldwide rights to these recordings and
>>> master tapes.
>>>
>>>  MJ The information in this email is confidential and may be legally

>>> privileged.
>>> Access to this email by anyone other than the addressee is
> unauthorized.

> ****

privileged.
> Access to this email by anyone other than the addressee is
unauthorized.

****

Access to this email by anyone other than the addressee is unauthorized.