Re: [ARSCLIST] Discography's Demise?

>Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 23:55:57 -0500
>From: Michael Fitzgerald <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Only if you consider discography to start with a physical artifact.
>If, as has long been established, it starts with the creation point
>of the music (i.e., the recording session), then you can document
>plenty of things that may NEVER have been issued.

Maybe I am the only discographer in the world who does believe this. I must be the only one who writes strictly for the music fan who wants to know what exists so he can start searching for it with the reasonable expectation of purchasing it and listening to it. From this point of view, what is the point of my listing a song that was recorded, never released, and with reasonable certainty never will be released? In other words, nobody will be able to listen to it, ever. What am I not understanding here? What is the audible difference between a recording of a song that will never be heard by anyone except the people in the recording studio at the time, and an unrecorded song that was performed in a concert last night? I can't listen to either one of them right now, today.

>And besides, procedures for cataloging even streaming audio
>have been documented, so the world will adapt.

Please post where these procedures can be found. I really want to know how documentation can be written today, published in print, and it will be completely accurate and sufficient in order to find a specific MP3 file and listen to it 75 years from now.
Doug Henkle - mailto:henkle@xxxxxxxxx
P.O. Box 1447, Oshkosh, WI 54903-1447