Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex ATR-102 opinion (was MD5 Hash Generators

Hey, this is a fun list , after all!

On Jan 22, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Tom Fine wrote:

Hi Scott:

Yes, and that "trimming" thing is highly dubious too! Just because there's some psuedo-"science" "explaination" for Barnumesque hooey doesn't make it true or have anything to do with sonics. There was one of those "deep frozen oxygen-free elevated" cable "manufacturers" briefly on another list, which is populated almost entirely by genuine professionals in the audio field. That person and their alleged "science" (which was just long strings of $5 words and straw-man arguments) was laughed out of the list very quickly.

But if you base your opinions on what genuine professionals on a list say rather than testing the hypothesis yourself, you have simply denied yourself a legitimate personal (as opposed to professional) opinion. Not so long ago genuine professionals thought the world was flat, that human flight was impossible, that applying leeches was good for what ails ya. Now they are saying cholesterol isn't so bad, after all. Columbus, the Wrights, and Dr. Bernard just had open minds where others trusted the professionals. Have some more cheesecake, please.

If you feel you have purchased an off-center CD, return it for an exchange. Finally, shaving too much of the edge off a commercial CD can damage the aluminum, then you really will get read-errors, some of which might not be correctable -- oh and you can also create micro-cracks in the plastic layers which might interfere with some laser/mirror interactions. Again, if your CD won't play and your other CD's will, then that one is defective and should be returned to the manufacturer for an exchange. If a bunch of CD's won't play, then your equipment is broken. BTW, the precursor to "shaving" was the "CD pen" (an overpriced Sharpie). That myth has been well-debunked, use Google.

How would you know you had a an off center CD? If it didn't sound good? Well, as you pointed out earlier, a lot of CDs don't sound good. A trip to a machine shop with a precision lathe would be more definitive, no? Or try the audiophile version with a money-back guarantee.

As for the "cleaning and polishing," well I suppose if you bought a scuffed used disc there is more than a shred to this. I always clean fingerprints off library discs (with regular 90% isopropynol and a lint-free wipe, ie less than a penny per "treatment"). I believe there are some actual scientific papers about how horizontal scratches and fingerprints can and do create very high error rates and uncorrectable errors in some situations (especially with cheapo players). CD's definitely seem more fragile than original music-company claims BUT like I said, less than a penny per cleaning and unless they are gouged they play just fine in a decent player. By the way, I recently tested this theory with a used CD I bought. The thing wouldn't play well in a cheapo discman portable. I was afraid it was gouged but it was just scratched. I had no problem reading it into the computer using Exact Audio Copy (which reported 100% quality on all read-ins) and burned a new copy on a CDR. That copy plays just fine in any player I have and sounds great (I must certainly not be a golden ear because I'm too skeptical, but I can say I do know good sound quality when I hear it and I certainly know what digital-playback errors sound like). So, bottom line, I'm not discounting the idea of treating a CD surface with much more care than is commonly used based on early advertising claims, but I see no need for exotic potions and other pricey products.

Again, an opinion about something tried is different than an opinion about something not tried, as you concede. Alcohol might not be optimal for cleaning whatever is on or attracted to CDs (Duane?), and coated optical surfaces do transmit more light than uncoated. Even polycarbonate eyeglass lenses are routinely treated to an anti-reflection coating; why should a CD's polycarbonate be different? Can you further concede that someone might hear a justification for something you can see no need for? Or are they wrong simply because you can't see what you can't hear?

Scott, CD's aren't the only things some of the "high-end audio" mags talk about "de-gaussing" (just how do you de-magnetize aluminum? and how about CDR dye?). One mag actually advocated purchase of an "LP degausser" -- as if there is a SINGLE magnetic property to a vinyl disk! And we won't even get in to the idiotic hooey surrounding this sudden "need" to "elevate" your cables!

If you lived in the New Mexico desert, you might have a different opinion on the effect of static electricity on cable dielectrics.

Ha! I think some of these golden-eared types wouldn't survive a trip through the recording sessions that produced their favorite music -- it would so shatter their universe-view that their heads would explode! Bundles of ordinary Belden cable running through a studio, sometimes digital and analog in the same bundle or the same conduit, sometimes even video or data in there too and in the old days mains AC and relay DC running nearby. Recording consoles full to the brim with ordinary IC's, resistors and capacitors and in the old days exposed garden-variety tubes with no exotic "shock mounts" -- all with blaring monitors nearby. Studios getting their electrical service from an ordinary power company with, gasp, no special "treatments" or "regeneration", and in the old days most power cords made of ordinary "lamp cord" or zip-cord (nowadays more typical are the stock-from-the-box Chinese IEC power cords). Location recordings in an ordinary concert hall in the middle of a noisy city, with no special humidity or static-electricity treatments and ordinary Belden-or-similar microphone cables (running hundreds of feet in some cases with no "elevation" or "magnetic wraps"). Oh, the horror of it all, to think that so many great-sounding recordings could be made with such ordinary work-horse equipment and those "simple" old-school professionals with their "tin-eared" ways! The truth could well put a whole "industry" out of business (and I don't mean the recording industry)!

Hey Tom, you started this discussion with a statement that "the majority of CD product on the market is not well-mastered, so the garden-variety CD has a bad rap for sounding awful through no fault of the technology". The above paragraph simply expands on that to include technical concerns that at one time were never given the slightest consideration, and again blames the engineering personnel. I doubt that you really mean to diminish the insights of the tin-eared professionals from Decca, EMI, RCA, Mercury, the BBC and ORTF, Bell Labs et al who identified most of these problems for us-and figured out the solutions, often by rejecting the conventional wisdom of the day. OK, maybe you do, as their greatest success was with analog recording.

And why the snide attitude towards anyone who questions a status quo you agree is unsatisfactory, or suggest improvements? The CD was not intended to be the Platonic Ideal of music reproduction. The fact is the CD design brief simply specified a disc that would fit in a Japanese auto dash player and play Beethoven's Ninth on one side. What we got was the best they could do at the time with those parameters. Anybody you know still thinks the '82 Accord was a perfect ride forever? Why then the dogged defense of the format designed to provide it with perfect sound forever? Afraid it might flunk inspection, too?

The deeper truth is that the recording industry may well be putting itself out of business, at least as far as physical media is concerned. Trashing those serious audiophiles, designers, manufacturers and tweakers who have striven for 25+ years to actually extract music from those pits plays right into the hands of the corporate conglomerates for whom quality is a threat to the bottom line.

Bruce

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Phillips" <scottp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>