Re: [ARSCLIST] Hold Down Tape

Take a piece of Scotch tape -- the kind you tape a library tag on a book. Fold a third of it over so it's a tab. Hold the tape end down with the 2/3 sticky stuff. Use paper leader tape, a few feet. In the life of that reel, you will not gum up or tear off enough paper leader tape to matter.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Hold Down Tape

At 02:32 PM 2008-01-17, Richard Warren wrote:
Hi Folks,

The Grinch in me sees this discussion and harks back to research for the AAA Committee that resulted in our recommending against the use of any sort of hold-down or splicing tape (except for temporary use of splicing tape to make or extend leaders that are too short for a tape player) because of the danger of bleeding adhesives (and I've never found any type of splicing or hold-down tape that did not bleed goo onto tape surfaces or that was peelable without some sort of deposit or damage). I wish my experience were more helpful, but facts are facts.

From another Grinchly Richard:
--Shipping tapes without hold down is very risky as the outer wraps may come unwound
--I have received far too many tapes with damage to the outer 20+ turns due to them becoming unwound. It also appears that loosely wound wraps of tape are more likely to dry out and cup.

I fear it's a matter of picking your poison. Whatever you do, please do not use the 3M white plastic hold-down clips--at least in the mode where they go over the tape pack and often cause edge damage.

Regards,

Richard (aka Richard d'Grinch II)