Re: [ARSCLIST] More on the Washington Post retraction re: RIAA

This link may be of interest but perhaps in a New Zealand sense -

http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3532/columnists/10356/if_you_cant_beat_em.html;jsessionid=9791F27ED320EB405DC585D2674E9400

by Russell Brown
Digital rights management is going the way of the dinosaur.

For two years, the New Zealand branches of the four major record companies,
via their industry body, RIANZ, have been lobbying to ensure that their
interests are best served in the endlessly gestating update to the Copyright
Act 1994.

Although they have had to swallow a new provision permitting us (with
conditions) to copy music from a CD to a computer or portable music player,
they have done fairly well. In particular, they have won sweeping statutory
protection for digital rights management (DRM) software, which controls how
digital media can be copied and used. The provisions are so strong that the
bill has been called back for high-level re-examination.

But in the interim, something extraordinary has happened. The major music
companies – all of them – have abandoned DRM. EMI broke the line midway
through last year, announcing that nearly all its catalogue would be
available as paid digital downloads without DRM; it can be purchased as
"iTunes Plus" at the iTunes store and in MP3 form from various other digital
retailers (including the Kiwi-only
amplifier.co.nz<http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3532/columnists/10356/amplifier.co.nz>).
Universal Music followed when the online retail giant Amazon opened its own
music store.

Then, in the haze of the holiday season, Warner Music, hitherto the most
fanatically pro-DRM of all the majors, announced that Amazon would be
selling its music as DRM-free MP3 files. A few days later, Sony BMG
announced that it, too, was going DRM-free.

The industry has had its problems with DRM, most notoriously in the case of
the Sony CD copy-protection that secretly installed a "rootkit" on
customers' PCs, exposing them to malicious internet attacks.

But it wasn't consumer problems that turned the majors: it was more the fact
that DRM – which they had hoped would allow them to control their markets –
had in fact become a tool for others to manipulate markets in ways that
stripped the record companies of power.

We need to go back a little here. After Napster established the idea of
downloading music from the internet, the majors formed into two cartels and
tried to act as their own online retailers. It didn't work – for one thing,
you couldn't buy one cartel's releases from the other one's shop.

Meanwhile Steve Jobs and Apple were making up for a slow start in digital
music, with the iTunes software in 2000 and then the iPod in 2001. The iPod
was already a tiny colossus in the market when Apple launched the iTunes
Music Store in 2003. It had the mark of Jobs. For simplicity, all releases
would cost the same. And Apple's DRM, FairPlay, was far more reasonable than
anyone else's: purchased tracks could be played on up to five authorised
computers and as many iPods as you liked. But only iPods.

It would have been difficult to support the competing Windows Media DRM on
the iPod. But Apple also refused to license FairPlay to anyone else. It had
shares of between 80 and 90 percent in both the music download and portable
player markets, and those downloads played on one portable only – Apple's.
Jobs was dictating terms to the industry. And DRM gave him the power.

Warner has frankly stated that its aim is to create – in Amazon – a
competitor to iTunes. This should be good for consumers, but there are
problems: the Amazon Music Store is available in the US only; it's not clear
what Warner's terms for going DRM-free with iTunes will be, nor whether
Amazon might extend to markets like ours (where, ironically, the dominant
retailer is Vodafone Music, which uses Windows DRM); and, on a technical
basis, it is daft that the industry should converge around MP3, an ageing
format that achieved ubiquity purely because it couldn't be retrofitted with
DRM.

But one thing is clear. For music at least, attempting to tightly control
consumers' use of what they have bought has not only failed to prevent
piracy but become more trouble than it's worth.

*Next week: so what does the music industry do now?*

*Email: russb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@dubwkise.c2o.nzj *