Re: [ARSCLIST] 1/4" tape player

Hi, Scott,

I used the Dolby A tapes because they were the highest-quality master tapes I had available for this purpose.

One tape was <gasp> made on a ReVox A77, the other was made on I don't know what, but perhaps a Studer A810, but I do not know, really. I no longer have the second tape.

Also the A77 tape was one I made and was intimately familiar with. It's vinyl version received an excellent review in The New Yorker among other places.

This is typical of my incoming tapes as I never know what they were made on. By the way, the series of tapes I made on the A77 in the 1970s uniformly sound better when played on any of the three machines in the shootout. It was interesting to hear the difference among the three.

Cheers,

Richard