Re: [ARSCLIST] vinyl 78's

Tom,

 This topic comes up here all of the time,apparently there are not that many serious R&B/early rock record collectors here.78s were pressed,in the US foor commercial sale,until 1958.However,there were still a lot of jukebox owners,at this time,that still had 78 machines.A lot of the smaller labels would press 78s,in batches of a few hundred copies,for operators of said jukeboxes.This pactice stopped in 1961 sometime.

here are the countries I am aware of that pressed 78s after the uS,followed byt the last year they pressed them:

UK/Canada 1959

South Africa 1962 (?)

Turkey 1963

Argentina/Uruguay/Chile - 1964
I have a stereo 78 sleeve from an unidentified South American country,from the early 60s.

Philippines  1965

India 1966 (I can personally attest to seeing,but not owning,1966 RCA Gold Standard 78s,from India.)

This fun little site : http://www.cool78s.com/index.html hasn't been updated in over a year.

                           Roger

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: What's the history of vinyl 78's? I have a small pile from I think the very early 50's, these are
pop and country tunes. Was vinyl used for 78's in any mass quantities previous to when vinyl LPs
were mass-manufactured? The "newest" vinyl 78's I know of are kiddie records pressed in the
mid-60's. Aside from novelty stuff, was the medium used after the mid-60's?

Thanks for the coming history lesson!

-- Tom Fine