Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question

Philips has published Orange Book specifications for CD-R media. It is
available from them but is expensive. There are no equivalent public
standards. Public volume and file structure standards are published as ISO
9660 and UDF. These are standards for "interchange" that may be interpreted
as playability.

There is no published specification for write or read drives. Thus, if a
disc fails write or read, and meets all specs, then the drive is at fault.
If the disc does not meet specs, then it is the fault of the media.

This is rather simplistic, but does work. Information on our web site at
http://www.mscience.com/ references standards, our publications, links, and
has many FAQs.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.