Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra/the death of high fidelity

  In recent years, I have been working with several small CD labels, which specialize in resurrecting long-out-of-print recordings from the dawn of the LP era. I have also been in broadcasting since 1966, and have noticed that, as fine as many new CD's are, they seem to lack the "personality" of many of the old analog recordings, many-of-which were one-take, incredible performances, issued without credits, or hokey names, on numerous budget labels. The new recordings may have more polish and "gloss", but these old discs have a face...an energy you can sort of feel...which newer recordings usually lack.  Steve Slezak