Re: [ARSCLIST] Distance between staggered heads

At 12:20 PM 2007-12-30, Parker Dinkins wrote:
on 12/30/07 10:51 AM US/Central, Jim Long at JJimLong@xxxxxx wrote:

> Can any ARSC gear head tell me the distance between the left- and
> right-channel staggered heads on early 1/4-inch 1950's stereo tape recorders,
> e.g., Magnecord?

I think they varied, but according to
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/bsnpubs/vpost?id=2313089 it was 1.25
inches for the Magnecord.

Probably it would be best to use a DAW and slip one channel until they
match. **If** the speed was absolutely correct, you could figure out the
distance from the offset time.

Hello, Jim,

Parker is correct that as best we can determine, 1.25 inches is the correct spacing for Magnecord.

However, I've had several two-track staggered head recordings which seemed to work better at 120 ms (on a 7.5 in/s tape) than the 167 ms delay that the 1.25 inch spacing would indicate. The math indicates that this was 0.9 inch spacing. BUT it was hard to tell on this tape as it was two halves of a choir in a synagogue and there was little common information between the two mics with a good arrival time pedigree.

Remember, that sound travels about 1.1 feet per millisecond so plus or minus 20 ms would be a mic spacing distance of +/- 22 feet which, in a large worship space recorded long ago by someone else is difficult to tell.

I did run sections at 100, 120, 133, and 167 ms delay and the 120 sounded the best. 100 ms would, of course be a spacing of 0.75 inches and 133 ms would be a spacing of one inch.

I once had my hands on an Ampex PR-10 with four channels of electronics, and staggered quarter track record and play heads. I think the stagger was under 1.25 inches. This was a home-brew cobble, but apparently worked when other 4-track recorders all required 1/2-inch tape.

Also note that instrumentation heads are typically spaced by 1.500 inches. You'll find this on the 7-track 1/2-inch IRIG tapes as well as the 14- and 28-track 1-inch IRIG tapes.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard