Re: [ARSCLIST] 78rpm archaeology project

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Mueller-Heubach" <ommuel@xxxxxx>
> For my two final papers/proposal, I am writing a semifictional lead-in from
the
> perspective of a 78, from  pressing to excavation by an archaeologist. This
sort
> of intro actually has a bit of precedence among archaeologists, though they
> usually write from the point of view of human agents. I have been watching the
> National Telefilms "Making Records with Duke Ellington" short and am
> wondering- was each batch of shellac compound really put into a press by hand
> or was it much more mechanized and they just showed the waffle-iron press to
> elucidate the process? I assume the label is applied after the record emerges
> from the press..or?

A "biscuit" (a more-or-less round piece of shellac compound, which would
be "squished" into a shellac-compound phonorecord...) was placed in the
"press" (which consisted of both stampers). The two labels were also
placed...one on top, one on the bottom...in the press. The result was
(almost always) a pressed phonorecord, including not only both sides
but also the labels therefor...!