Re: [ARSCLIST] (Fwd) Re: [ARSCLIST] Paris Opera Unearths 100-Year-Old Recordi

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello, just a brief response to Howard Friedman's post:

> To one and all, and especially George,
>
> The FIRST registration of an airborne sound was probably made by Dr Thomas
> Young in about 1807!  Check it out!  Give the man his due.  He recorded
> sounds, but had no intention or reason for replaying them.  He was one of
> the greatest scientists of the 19th century, a real polymath.  He was
> responsible for Young's modulus in physics, and was instrumental in the
> deciphering of the Rosetta Stone.  He was of course erstwhile President of
> the Royal Society of England.

----- the flippant answer is "well, a bi-centenary!!".

But, honestly, my impression is that Young recorded vibrations, i.e. sound
transmitted through a solid. That may well be audible, via bone conduction,
but that is not the point.

If you have evidence that points to air-borne sound recorded, please inform
the list and me.

Kind regards,

George