Re: [ARSCLIST] Piston Symphony #2

Roger and Allison Kulp <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    ***If you read my posts,you know I don't always have my Lps where I can easily get them.I have several RCA records of Piston's stuff,both as 78,and "Vault Treasures".I assume these are all by Hanson.I also have one of those,ahem, "private issue" Lps (Basically a classical bootleg.) from the late 60s,or early 70s of a Koussevitsky/BSO performance of Piston,I think it's the symphony #2, which as it was written in 1942 (?),Koussevitsky probably conducted.It is probably from a radio broadcast,and is as good a performance as you would imagine.

In the 1940s, it was G. Wallace Woodworth who conducted the BSO in the Second Symphony of Piston. I have a copy of the broadcast, with announcements. As far as I know, Koussevitzky never performed the Second. My guess is that he might have felt it was "tainted" as the first performance had been given, as I recall, by the National Symphony under Kindler. If indeed you have a boot of any Piston, Koussevitzky, or anyone else, I would be most interested in the discographic information.

  Thanks.

  Karl